Happy Wednesday, Grand Rapids! January 2016 is almost over, we have survived our first real bouts of snow this winter and hopefully we are making our New Years Resolutions!
One resolution that seems practically universal is taking our health to the next level – whether that’s joining a gym and committing to those classes, watching what we eat or thinking positively to promote a good sense of emotional health. Now, the hard part – sticking to those, right? I struggle with this just as much as the next person but in the last couple years, I’ve realized that it’s more about the balance of work and play and enjoying it all in moderation.
I’ve also come to notice the long list of available options for gyms, fitness classes, health conscious restaurants and stores and healthy minded communities – all in GR and the Mitten state as a whole.
What may not also seem obvious to everyone is that a lot of communities and neighborhoods in GR are geared towards celebrating the outdoors all four seasons (okay, maybe not during a snowpacolypse, but after) and you can really take advantage of a plethora of online resources and get a great workout in your house! It’s amazing what a little bit of endorphins can do; especially in those colder months up here in the north. I wanted to put together a list of places that are pretty inexpensive to get your yoga on or take a fitness class, enjoy great perks from local gyms and touch on some establishments that could help us keep our body, mind and spirit healthy at the beginning of 2016.
Get your yoga on for a full body Heath fix and center your whole being at these locations:
- AMyoga – Affordable, donation based yoga with a schedule that spans locations across Grand Rapids! The amazing ladies who instruct these classes also have guided yoga flows and meditations available through their podcast.
- Yoga Fever – The newest addition to the hot yoga scene in Uptown. There are still spots left for their $5 Grand Opening classes through this Sunday! (Funky Buddha is a great option too.)
- The Body Mind Being Project – Provides families and individuals in the community who have suffered from PTSD. I really like this organization because they genuinely want to provide help to the local people in our communities – period. They also have a fun and free event this Saturday – A Midwinter Night’s Dream with all sorts of fantastic activities!
Sweat it out at these local gyms and fitness centers:
- Find your local YMCA -there are a handful in the greater GR area and they offer a variety of fitness classes, full equipment gyms, swimming pools, family friendly fun (including daycare) and they have budget plans for monthly rates (income allowing).
- Walker Ice and Fitness – Just northwest of the city limits, this fitness center boasts open skate times, fitness classes and a full gym. The rates aren’t have bad either for a one stop shop center (Plus, January initiation fee is waived for new members)!
- Allegro Coaching in Eastown – Provides fitness coaching and classes to individuals of all levels, partners with corporate employers on wellness programs and they also do an Urban Aventure Training.
- Grab a buddy, head out for a nice walk and admire the majestic quality of the icy outdoors (perhaps to Lake Michigan for an scenic hike).
- Go for an ice skate at Rosa Parks circle and sip on some hot chocolate to keep warm!
- Take advantage of the powder on the slopes at the Cannonsburg Ski area – Sunday’s from 4-9pm, $25 ski rental and lift ticket special!
Center your mind and spirit with these uplifting resources with the whole fam! Obviously, there are a ton more options in the greater GR area so don’t be afraid to search what fits best for you. Also, most of our local restaurants feature local food or farm to table dining (and each year, more open up) so we can feel good about those options, right!?
What do you do to feel your best? Comment and let me know your thoughts! Here’s to a happy and healthy continuation of 2016!